FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Milan: Midweek January "Solid" non-touristy dinner spot?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:54 pm
ckendall

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Follow-up: Spazio was fun if a little uneven. I can see why it would be fun for a food critic, though the diners (who seemed like mostly Italian and fairly sophisticated) seemed to be having a good time, too. The space feels like a pop up restaurant, with little decor beyond writing on the walls, hooks for you coat near your table and fairly minimal place settings. The wine list is very short (two sparkling wines, two whites and two reds), all by the glass and not that expensive.

The food was pretty good but portions were not huge. There was an amuse-bouche, I had a pasta stuffed with cardoons and a capocollo (a few chunks of pork). The dessert was beautiful (a meringue with chestnut inside and cream) and then I got a little apple/lemon gummy square.

The service was very polite and friendly but a bit erratic. I barely had time to sit down before someone came to take my order (he gracefully gave me a minute to read the menu) and rather than discussing wines if you offered a clue the waiter immediately ran off to get it. And at the end there was about a half hour pause between when I finished my meal and when I finally got to pay. I probably could have speeded this up (and I was not in a huge hurry) but the restaurant was full and the waiters were barely able to deal with the customers who were eating.

So all in all a pleasant experience and a fun stop for foodies in search of something different. I could see going back but I only have so many nights in Milan and there are a few places (written about above) that I really like a lot.