FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:41 pm
gilbertaue

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I won't do a full review as the pictures of my room can be seen in post #9.

I booked the stay last Friday (5th Feb) with my Accor Plus comp night voucher. As the voucher only allows for lowest room category, I paid an additional ~SGD130 for the Premier Deluxe Room.

With the So Sofitel, The Sentosa Resort and the Novotel as properties possible to book I chose the Novotel. Main reason is that we wanted a lounge.

------------------------

On Saturday morning I received an email from the hotel asking me for my check in time. I replied at 11am that I would like to check in early (Around 10am) for my stay from 7th-8th Feb. I also inquired about the possibility of an upgrade to the suite and that should there be a conflict between early check in and the upgrade i'd chose the latter.
I got a reply, that all was fine and that check in at 10am is ok.

So on Sunday I showed up and checked in at the lounge together with my wife and daughter (8yo). I mentioned my name and got a quizzed look.
"But your booking was for yesterday..." .... "ummmm".....

So I pulled out my phone and I, ........., had all along booked the wrong dates. Yes it was my fault.
(that the communication the day before hinted at me about to commit a mistake wasn't picked up on. Anyway, I made a mistake.
The lady in charge of the lounge was very nice, and I can't fault her and she a) simply moved my night at no charge b) waived the "no show" penalty. For that I am really grateful.

When that was sorted and I was kicking myself, I was asked if I knew the lounge policy. "What's the lounge policy?"
The lounge policy here is that children below the age of 12 are not allowed to use the lounge. Not just for the evening canapee - NOT AT ALL.
So what was the solution? I can't possibly leave my daughter alone?

- You can have breakfast in the restaurant at no charge
- You can benefit from happy hour at the lobby bar - Free of Charge: Soft Drinks, Tea Coffee, juices, vodka, whisky.

I was quite disappointed. The lounge was the reason for choosing this hotel over the others. They were not going to budge and in the end also refunded the ~SGD130 I paid as a top up for the "Premier" benefit.

I didn't want to make too much noise as they had shown enough goodwill for my own blunder.
Nevertheless, this is wrong IMO. I understand that some/many children don't behave in a lounge. But I have taught my child well and don't see why I should not receive a benefit for the reason of others. Are adults yapping on skype over speakerphone in a lounge any better?
I have come across many lounges where behavior is policed. But not an outright ban.

Further, we are not talking about a independent hotel that can make up their own rules.
I expect that a Accor property, with its own set of design, benefits etc, accommodate the same level of offerings as any other.

While I was checking in, there was a family of three with a son clearly not above 12. The manager asked a staff member to check the age.
The lady came back and said "12".
The manager insisted that the staff ask the family for ID as proof.
(it didnt happen as they left shortly after...But what a way to make a stay uncomfortable. I guess thats the way they "police" it).

So once again - inconsistencies in Accor properties.