FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Hartford Hotel at Bradley Airport : Bed Bugs, and Deception.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:53 pm
rikramer

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Wow. Sheraton Bradley Airport (Bed Bug Deception)

I am at a loss for words.

Long story (somewhat) short:

- I checked into the Sheraton Hartford at Bradley Airport on Oct 6 after midnight
- When I arrived the front desk clerk told me that they were overbooked and I had lost my assigned upgrade room and had to be placed in a replacement room
- It appeared that the room was not intended for use as the shower did not have a hook on the wall (it was hanging loose) and the room was not very clean (hairs in the bathroom)
- I needed a bed for a very short night, so I didn't complain and went to bed.
- Next morning I woke up with lots of bed bug bites all over my body and face
- I left the hotel as I needed to hit the road at ~6am for an all day session at UCONN. I didn't know anything about bedbugs at the time so I didn't take any action (uggh)
-They never sent me a bill over email nor did they slide a bill under my door.
-I complained to the hotel the next evening as soon as I had a moment away from my session. From the first interaction, the hotel claimed they would "inspect room 420" and "make sure room 420 didn't have bed bugs". I asked them multiple times if they were sure I was in room 420 since that didn't sound right to me. I couldn't remember which room I was actually in though and I didn't have a bill to prove anything.
-I asked the hotel and the SPG Platinum line to send me a bill but they declined and told me all communications needed to be with Zurich Insurance which covers bed bug claims for the hotel.
- The hotel did send me heavily redacted pest control reports showing me that room 420 was inspected and cleared. I asked them what was contained behind the black marker redactions and they told me it was unrelated to bed bugs and had to do with mosquitos and flies in their garbage dumpsters.
-3 weeks later my wife and I started the receive bites at home. We've had 2 pesticide treatments and have gone through a figurative nightmare (cleaning, bins, threw out bed, etc.). All-in costs have been in the thousands of $s.
- Zurich refused all claims because in their view the hotel adequately checked room 420.
- I recently opened a complaint with the Connecticut Insurance Department and as a result, I was just now able to see the non-redacted pest control reports that were filed
- Sure enough the reports show that the hotel also had room #307 inspected the same day they checked "my room" 420. And the pest control company captured 35 bed bugs in this room! (pictures attached of this pest control report). I am almost certain (but cannot prove) that I was in fact in room #307 and not #420 as they so claimed

I am convinced that the Sheraton Bradley has lied and claimed that I was in room #420 when in fact I was in the infested room #307. I recall the front desk clerk apologizing that I would be on a lower floor due to the oversold situation. Either the hotel is covering up the room that I was in, or the front desk person never actually updated my room number in the system and the Manager truly believes I was in #420.

Questions:

- Zurich Insurance has already closed my case and sided with the hotel as they also took their word that I was in room #420.

- What really can I do at this point? I feel like the hotel had the perfect coverup. They claim I was in different room and they know that I do not recall my room number at all (as I mentioned to them on my first call)

- Any CT based lawyers on here that are interested in taking my case?
Attached Images