FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sneaking into First Class
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2002, 8:22 am
anonplz
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
It's not stealing? It's taking something that has a price on it (miles, money or certs) for which you did not pay - that's stealing...If you were caught stealing a first or business class seat and you did not move back, I would certainly think the crew could have you arrested for theft (among other things) upon landing.</font>
I've already stated I believe that it's dishonest, but I don't believe that it constitutes stealing except if they were to detach the seat from the plane AND take it with them!

As a separate matter, if you were asked by an FA to move back and you refused, you probably could be arrested but not for theft, for reckless behavior or disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct or something like that.

You're not really reasoning very clearly, nor do you establish any kind of precedent where courts have held that this practice is stealing. Have there been such cases? I'd truly like to hear what the case law is.

Simply saying, "is too stealing" is not good enough to persuade me, sorry!