FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worried about throwaway ticketing costing thousands
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:44 pm
edaesq

Worried about throwaway ticketing costing thousands

Here's the situation. And it's a potentially very nasty one:
My fiancé is coming to United States on a K1 fiancé Visa, meaning she will be flying one way and staying in the US after that so we can be married.
The cost of a roundtrip ticket on JAL (Japan Airlines) is about a thousand dollars. Cost of one way ticket is almost five thousand dollars. Yes, that is correct, a $4,000.00 difference.
On the K1 Visa my fiancé must marry me in 90 days and then stay in the country until she gets her Green Card. (Takes about 6 months to get Green Card).
The Immigration Authorities don't care whether a one way or two way is booked BUT, if the ticket is not cancelled JAL may enter in its computers that she took the flight. That can cause a problem because if the US Immigration Service thinks she left the United States prior to getting the Green Card, they could refuse to issue the Green Card and deport her.
So, it is essential that the ticket be cancelled, as opposed to her just not showing up for the return flight to Japan.
My concern is that JAL will refuse to cancel the ticket unless the difference in the fares ($4,000.00) is paid.
Question: Will JAL try to charge the $4,000.00 difference when we try to cancel the return flight?