FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?
Old Aug 23, 2003, 3:13 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
zurbec-dropping AS as your preferred airline could not be much of a loss for them. These bible verse cards, not mentioning Jesus in the 150+- trips I made on AS, are a modest attempt by a God fearing CEO, not longer there. They have been doing this since before 1984.

While my most recent flight on AS was 3 years ago, the cards are have always been in all classes of service to the extent that I flew in both first and coach, depending on the meal service.

To say the As is a profitable airline, in a sea of red ink, is due to factors other that this card...I think!?

In any case, if you read one and it offends you, they just don't pick it up next time you fly. Sounds like an easy way to deal with this issue...if it is one for you.

Some facts:

Freedom from Religion Foundation in Madison, WI has been complaining about AS for over 20 years in regards to the bible versus. Note AS does not even fly there.

As started in 1932, as McGee Airways. The current name was adopted in 1944. As was contracted in the mid late '40 to airlift supplies from Czechosolovakia to Israel. This Operation Magic Carpet airlifted over 40,000 Yemenite Jews to Israel during that program under then President James Wooten.

Bruce Kennedy became CEO in 1979 and I believe that is when the bible versus on the tray started (yes people in coach and first got trays with their meals).

In Sept 1992 AS donated $200,000 to the Univ of Alaska Fairbanks as part of there continuing effort to but something back.