FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keurig Alternatives? (pod-type, single serve machines)
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:42 am
work2fly

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by TheGooch
However, if there is a reasonably priced matchine that I could just pop a capsule into, pour some water and milk in, press a button and out popped a frothy cappuccino , I would snatch it up in a second.

Until then, I think that we are best off with the Keurig.
This is probably OT for this thread but...

I've seen re-furbed super-automatics for about US $1K. Fill it with beans, water and milk and it will make you a cappuccino. It's as simple as can be, and even the clean up is automated. The only manual cleaning I do is to pull out the brew group and rinse it once a week and descale once every few months.

I pay $13/lb for coffee at a local roaster which gives me about 50 espressos, for a cost of 26 cents/cup.

Depending on how much you pay for your pods, and how many cups you drink per day, at some point, the super-auto will pay for itself.

I guarantee there isn't a pod out there that compares to freshly roasted and ground coffee. Even if you're filling the pods yourself, you still can't get proper espresso from the K-machine - it doesn't have the requisite pressure.

I've used Senseo, Tassimo, and Nespresso (in that order), and after buying a real espresso machine, I'm not going back.