FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do I get an RPU back if I apply it to a BusinessFirst route that fails to clear?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:54 pm
cpyankees25

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not really. If either one cleared and not the other, the RPU is considered used. You either got a wrong answer or you misunderstood a correct answer.

From the RPU rules: "A Regional Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded and flown." No argument required.

In your case, the overwater leg DID matter, because it was the one that cleared and therefore the RPU is used. If you cleared JFK-SFO and not SFO-HNL, the JFK-SFO would have mattered and the RPU considered used. The only way you get a RPU back is if no segments clear.
Fair enough. Just for purposes of showing what I meant, this was the reply when I asked:
You were upgraded on what's called the "over the water" segment of your flight. That flight is considered the major portion of the travel and the upgrade is confirmed for that posrtion. A upgrade on the domestic portion is not guaranteed.