FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Greenland - any advice from those who've been?
Old May 8, 2003, 9:24 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:

I think I remember the FTer osstamps (sp?) having said he'd been to greenland. Now only to find the post! </font>
Yep .. flew there once from Iceland to have a look see.

It was named by someone with a sense of humour. Nothing green on the parts I saw .... and that was SUMMER. Nothing growing except moss. Not a tree shrub or anything more than a few inches high due to the winds.

There is ONE hotel on the entire east coast ..... and remember that is 1000s of miles. Meal one night was a kinda beef stew. We asked what is was. "Whale". Thinking he was joking we asked someone else. They said "Whale". Asked a third ... well you get the picture. It was whale or nothing.

Landed in this Fokker on what looked like the surface of Mars. Gale force winds. The "airport" - a small tin shed had a polar bear skin on the wall, saying it was shot in the car park that year.

Caught some big Bell Jetranger chopper over iceberg laden seas (SUMMER remember) buffeted by cyclonic winds. All houses have a dozen huskies chained to stakes out front etc. Quite a place to visit.

It is a dependency of Denmark, and uses Danish currency, although for 60 years it has issued its own stamps.