FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - J Special Disappeared
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:29 pm
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
Will it happen? For sure, but not until the days of simple buckets and inventory in a CRS is updated... The explanation is always quite a simple one for when people see this. When people are creating dummy bookings/shopping around, in order for the airline or OTA to display a fare, it has to hold that seat immediately until a) its purchased or b) the time that is configured in the CRS back end to release a seat from a transaction that has no finalised. If there was only one seat available in said bucket and the consumer 'shops' that fare but doesn't complete the transaction, chances are if they are looked for it again within a short period of time, that seat will still be being held by the previous transaction. ET, I know you know this, but others on here do not, hence the continual opinions that these evil cookies are increasing fares.

As someone in Revenue Management, I would love to be able to do this, I could make my airline much much more money, but alas, we are still using 70's technology which is unlikely to change in the near term for the majority of global ticket sales. The first carriers that we see doing this will be those that do not use the incumbent CRS's thereby circumventing old technology.
Indeed, too much legacy software out there for any airline to do it - not to mention all the costs with fare distribution!

I could sense a marketing campaign by direct providers of inventory against online travel agencies (or should I say, commission sinks ) highlighting the fact that airlines/hotels can't/don't do it, but the OTAs might as they are much freer to add additional charges into their quoted prices.