FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice need: IP cameras for home security
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:40 pm
Jimmie76
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Okay so I bought a Nexus 7 tablet and a Foscam to use down at the relatives. I hooked everything up beforehand opened a Google Play account and downloaded Lollipop plus the camera app. I tested it at home and it worked fine so I headed down to the back of beyond. Hooked everything back up at the relatives house and a new message appeared saying that as there was no Internet access wifi would not automatically reconnect. Odd but I wasn’t sure that it mattered so we went for a walk with the tablet round the house and garden..

We went out of range and the wifi dropped, it also went (later on) in the house in a few places where the walls are very thick and possibly part metal. Anyway the wifi didn't reconnect when we came back in range which bugged me. I then remembered the message that had appeared and realised what it meant, which was annoying. I found somewhere with a phone signal and called a friend who knows a hell of a lot more about Android than me. He said that because we had a Google account on the tablet it would always do that with Lollipop. I asked him for help with a solution and he said wipe it and start again, "I don't think just deleting the account will work." So I did that and tried to bluetooth over the camera app from my phone to the wiped tablet. Except you can't do that with APK files on Android for security..

I call him back and he says rename the file extension to something else like a txt and send it again. This works, I'd already tried it but I can't install the apk because there is no file manager on the tablet (and yes I had enabled the install from other sources). So I ask what to do now and he says just connect to the Web and download one, except there is no Internet connection to the wifi. Defeated I took the tablet home and added a file manager installed the camera app and took it back down on the next weekend. It now works fine and doesn't show any messages with the non Internet connected wifi, but I really wish I hadn't upgraded to Lollipop.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 3, 2016 at 7:33 pm