FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Award changes 22 Mar 2016 - incl. which incur new mile amt, redeposit, which not
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:54 pm
corncob

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No, t'is not. While that makes a bit of sense-- and you're not alone in wondering/thinking that for sure-- that would directly and explicitly contradict the info AA has given to Gary Leff, etc., in that many of the changes we expect to be able to make are listed as "Reinstate/Claim" _BUT_ with fee waived.
Do you have an example of this? Perhaps from one of the rule charts you posted.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
So, my working assumption-- and the word AA is putting put through folks like Gary Leff-- is that, in essence, any change that says "Charge Applies? No" should be free of increase in mileage due to new chart (as well as, of course, any that say "reissue")
I'm not sure I agree with this part. In the AAChange link you posted, there are several awards in that table where is says "Charge Applies? No", but the main carrier (in these cases, over-the-water) changes from AA->OW.

Gary's post explicitly says "You cannot change from American-only to a oneworld or other partner airline. You cannot change from a oneworld airline to a non-oneworld partner." and the words of Laura, the rep, seem to indicate carrier changes are allowed as long as it doesn't change award type (AA vs OW vs other partner).