FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, partner airlines 2016
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:32 am
josmul123

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I have another (absolutely crazy) data point to add to this whole 500-mile premium fare debacle...

I flew: DTW-DFW-LAS-PHX-DTW, all booked in P (a 2x EQM earning class).

LAS-PHX is 255 miles. I was credited with 510 miles. I called AAdvantage Customer Service to ask about getting my other 490 EQM. Original rep tried to tell me it was correct. He said he spoke to his supervisor, and the supervisor said it was correct. Asked to be transferred to supervisor after explaining to him that paid first class shouldn't net me only 10 EQM extra.

Supervisor got on the line, said the original rep misunderstood what she was saying and that the multiplier SHOULD in fact come after the minimum mileage, then told me I was "all set" and set to earn 750 EQM. I asked why, and she said "P earns 1.5x, not 2x." I directed her to the appropriate page, and she said "My mistake" and started typing again.

By the time the whole thing was over, I'd lost all my EQM credit for the entire set of flights, and she ended up having to re-credit them. My guess is they have a dropdown on their side that only allows them to choose "First," "Business," or "Coach." She said "Hmm, now it's multiplying everything by 3, but I'm just going to leave it because you had to call and sit on the phone for so long."

So, for DTW-DFW-LAS-PHX-DTW in P, I thought I was going to earn 8,426 EQM. Instead I earned 11,904 ^

The funny thing is, she still didn't credit the LAS-PHX flight correctly, as I earned 765 EQM (255 * 3).

She indicated that there was a publication on AA's side saying this multiplier multiplication issue was a known "System Glitch" and that a "Fix would be pushed later this month to correct it." So I may end up earning the extra 735 miles someday.

My spreadsheet is shot. There's an extra 369 RDM that just magically appeared that I can't account for as well.