FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:07 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
17. Each afternoon this airline’s jet would depart Chicago’s Midway Airport bound for Billings, Montana and beyond. Two stops were made enroute to Billings from Chicago. Identify the airline, the enroute stops and the aircraft used for this flight.

My second guess for the intermediate stop between OMA and BIL on Frontier is Rapid City.

That's a good guess, Joe - and a correct guess. The entire flight routing is as follows:

FL 105 MDW-OMA-RAP-BIL-CPR-DEN-COS-PHX
Equipment: 737-200

I figured if I made the question from MDW to anywhere beyond BIL, it'd be a dead giveaway. Routings like this make me wish I were born 20 years earlier...

35. Aboard what airline’s airplane would you find the “Kabuki Room” on?

My guess is that the Kabuki Room would have been the upstairs lounge on CO's 747s

The Kabuki Room was one of the three named economy class cabins on Continental's original factory delivered 747-124s. The lounges always had a name that included the word "Lounge" in it. Which means it's time for - that's right - a

Bonus Question!: The First Class upstairs lounge on Continental's originally delivered 747-124s had first one name, and then another after the upstairs lounge was modified from three windows to ten windows. What were the two names?

39. On what airline’s airliner could you deposit a quarter and play the electronic TV game “Pong” on a table in the coach lounge?

The Pong games were on their (Continental's) DC-10s.

Correct! My first experience with an onboard pong game came aboard a Continental DC-10 operating a codeshare flight on behalf of Western Airlines between Anchorage and Seattle. The lounges were removed fleet wide shortly thereafter, only to return in 1983. My last flight on a lounge equipped CO DC-10 came in 1990 aboard N68041, a -10 operating between Sydney and Brisbane. The aircraft continued on to Guam without me.

Over the years a lot of airlines included First Class lounges aboard their jets but can anybody think of any other aircraft utilized on international flights operated by any airline - U.S. or otherwise - that included a Coach Lounge?

1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify the route and the airline(s) flying it.

As for the fourth transcontinental 747 route, let's look further to the north, and go with SEA-JFK on Northwest Orient (play sound of gong) Airlines.

So let's see, so far in late 1970 we have

LAX-IAD
JFK-SFO
JFK-LAX

Now with the exception of the airliner flying the fourth and final route - an airliner I ogled often on my peregrinations through JFK back in the day - I'm with you, Joe. I would have thought Northwest's longtime JFK-SEA nonstop would have been a natural for an early 747 assignment. But No! It was another airline on a different route. Guess on!