FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:26 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Indeed ! I just put this in as an alternative pedantic view of the question wording

Incidentally, although I don't know, I wonder if either AA or DL also ran any 747 services through Love Field prior to DFW opening. The Braniff aircraft, optimised for the Hawaiian vacation traffic, probably had more seats than those did.

And under the Wright Amendment I wonder if Braniff's 737-800s nowadays have more seats than their rather temporary 727-200s did a generation ago. And I wonder how they managed to recruit flight engineers for a short period on the 727s, and then let them go again.
Excellent point concerning Southwest's current B737-800 equipment. And it would be interesting to know how many seats were on the B727-200 when WN briefly operated the aircraft. Of course, the Wright Amendment has now been repealed so Southwest is free to operate nonstops outside of the old mandated boundaries. BTW, I actually saw a WN operated 72S many years ago at LAX which had just arrived nonstop from HOU after originating at MSY.

As for B747 operations, it appears that American and Delta did indeed operate the airplane from Dallas Love in addition to the Braniff DAL-HNL service.