FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:40 pm
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dsnow0819
I was directed to this thread from the newbie thread. Hopefully someone here can help.

I'm a new AA Platinum and I have a question about 500-mile upgrades.

I purchased an under-500 mile flight using Citi ThankYou points through my Prestige card. When I added the flight to my AA account using the record locator, the upgrade section required me to use one 500-mile sticker to upgrade. It also stated: "Upgrades displayed are for any passenger(s) not eligible for a complimentary upgrade."

I was under the impression sub 500-mile flight upgrades are complimentary. Is that not the case? Is it because I purchased the flight with ThankYou points?

I entered my AA number when I booked and the flight appears in my upcoming flights. The seat selection also allows me access to complimentary MCE seating.

Thanks for the help.
I believe what happens behind the scene is you will burn a 500-mile upgrade, hence the requested notation, and you will be gifted one to make up for it. The net result being 0 to you. Sounds like the note tries to address both the comp'd upgrades for elites under 500 miles and all flights for EXPs.