FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask me a hotel question
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2002, 8:32 pm
hhonorman

Hi,
This is a great topic. Thanks for all your valuable information.

Here are my questions:

1. I noticed from one of your earlier responses about what items are commonly pilfered, and you listed shoe horns. Whenever I stay at luxury hotels, they usually have a plastic shoe horn with the hotel's logo embossed on it. I have always assumed (maybe incorrectly so) that it was free, namely for two reasons. One being that it is plastic, and two that it is usually placed beside other items such as a sewing kit and shoe mitt, etc, that I also have always (maybe incorrectly so) assumed were complimentary. Is the plastic shoe horn typically complimentary or is it there simply for the guest to use, like a towel, but not to be removed from the room? Whenever there is a large metal shoe horn I always assume it is there to be used but not removed, but what about the small plastic ones with the logo on it? This may seem like a stupid questions, but your earlier response got me wondering if I've been making an incorrect assumption all these years.

2. Is there a better time of day to check-in to increase the odds of getting a complimentary upgrade? If so, when? Early morning? Right after check-out time? Early afternoon? Late at night?

3. Other than a smile and a polite inquiry, are there any other buzz words or phrases that may help in getting an upgrade?

4. If I have a multiple night stay and do not get upgraded the first night, is there typically any chance for getting an upgrade for the subsequent nights? If so, who is the best person to ask, and when is the best time of the stay to ask them?

If you can answer any or all of these questions, I'd love to get your insight.