FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask me a hotel question
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:42 pm
aisleorwindow
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dynasty:
g_leyser,

Thanks for the great thread! It is fun and of course informative to read all of this.

Have a question about lodging formal complaints. My husband just got back from a business trip to Kuala Lumpar and stayed on the Executive Floor of the Ritz there. He woke in the middle of the night realizing it was raining IN his room with water gushing in around the windows. The hotel said sorry no more rooms, he would have to stay in that room until the morning so he spent a sleepless night there. To make a long story short, they were apologetic and immediately helped him move in the morning but that was it. I was appalled and think he should send in a formal complaint letter. Should this go to the GM or to corporate now that it has been a week?
</font>
Hi dynasty-
This is an interesting story. Sounds like there must have been a monsoon. I'm sorry this happened and I think you should write a letter. If you want the quickest response write directly to the GM, not corporate. The Ritz is a huge company and your letter may just get lost in the shuffle.
As always, be polite but firm. It sounds like you have no problem with the staff itself, but rather a lack of compensation, right? Mention that the staff tried to help you (if thats true). Also mention that you lost a whole night of sleep and that you felt UNSAFE (that's an eye catching word believe me). If your husband is planning another biz trip to Kuala Lumpur mention that too. Instead of writing the letter as a "demand for compensation", write it as a "I wanted to bring this to your attention" type letter. I guarantee you will get a response, and very possibly some sort of compensation. Let me know what happens, I'd be very interested to hear the Ritz's response.
Geez, two strikes for the Ritz on this thread already !!