FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:15 pm
Nathalie.OroLoyalty

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Smile Credit Cards experience - AMEX, TD, Capital One - con't

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The trouble with the Cap 1 card, is that it has the same shortcoming at its core, similar to other cards like the BMO Rewards World elite, where you have to spend a LOT on the cards annually, to get value out of these cards. If you have such a resource to tap into where you can throw $100k/$200K or more onto it each year, then you're laughing. No need to sign up for, or churn CCs to get up to par with the REAL FFs. And then from the redemption side of things, you're getting at most 2 cpm (correct me if I'm wrong), though you do then get the flexibility to book whatever revenue fare offerings are available. However, after giving a couple of these spend-based cards a trial, I came out feeling less than satisfied. It was particularly bad from the BMO front, since they require you to book through the BMO Rewards site, and for me, that loses a lot of possibilities and options.

Since I am not a bonafide true frequent flyer, I had never been much of an Aeroplan player until I started churning cards, and even though it has huge holes in it's redemption model, if you can learn how to overcome those obstacles then, at least for our family, it's been the most rewarding program where we are redeeming at 2cpm to +12cpm (mainly long-haul business class). From the input end there have been so many different CC offers in recent years from Amex, TD and CIBC, to earn gobs and gobs of Aeroplan (or convertible 1:1 Amex Membership Rewards) points. And when you have good credit ratings, the churn comes into play and now you're doubling, tripling quadrupling the flow.

Sadly, the torrential rainfall of free points has been significantly impacted lately, with several new policies and system enhancements by Amex. Even the TD stream is tightening up, compared to how free flowing they were handing out their cards when the launched into the Aeroplan race. Fortunately CIBC didn't bow out of the race and moved/adjusted their conduit of points flow. So, while the landscape has changed recently, there's still enough open grazing pastures out there, to keep the game alive. So if you want to look at Aeroplan offers, have a look at the Wiki at the top of these web pages (if you're viewing on a browser), if you want to visit the various threads on Amex, CIBC and TD cards.

You have to decide what type of 'water' you want to play in, and then whether you want to cruise an ocean in a sail boat, or navigate the rapids with a kayak. Both can be satisfying.
Hey JJJ thanks for the input!!

Totally get what you mean for Cap1 cards & similar. In that category, however, it still stood out as the best bank for your buck as the perks were simple:
• 2 miles / 1$ spent (no condition on where/when/how like many cards do) – most cards still give 1 point/mile per 1$ or even per 1.5$ spent including a bunch of conditions
• The 10K anniversary bonus made it worth it as it meant that the card cost 20$ per year (120$ annual fee). Recent changes: now 150$, no anniversary bonus, 40K miles signup bonus. So for new members, they break even after 2.67 years (at the latest of course cause I’m not factoring in expenses) after which, time to churn ☺
• The key perk as you mention is to be able to pick any airline & hotel so capitalizing on deals where Aeroplan isn’t delivering. In an ideal scenario, I can book using Cap1 reward miles with a Star Alliance partner and earn aeroplan rewards… win-win situation… but doesn’t always work & and obviously needs a lot of planning.

I think you can benefit a great deal with Aeroplan by churning CCs yes and tracking promotions. I try to always opt for FYF promotions, which requires on point management to not miss cancellation time. So far, I haven’t had trouble to get approved for cards despite applying to multiple ones at a time and I'm accumulating Aeroplan points so quickly!!

The big issue with Aeroplan bookings is the taxes, fees & surcharges that often amount to, if not surpass, the price of the ticket. MTL-FLORIDA is a good example where all the fees can amount to 200$+ when the ticket with a low cost carrier can be as low as 100$. The main trick is to pick the right airlines that don’t have fuel surcharges like Brussels AirlinesSwiss, TAM Airlines, Turkish Airlines and United and a few others. Of course, booking early and being flexible with dates is equally important.

I'm trying a few CCs & looking into the recent offers to keep improving my cpm on earning & redemption. I'll soon give updates on my findings and experiences.

Cheers!