FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sixteen Days In West Africa
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:58 am
DanielW

Ground-side at Murtala Muhammed International Airport. I had a bit of a panic when my flight to Banjul was missing from the departures screen. They were checking in another Arik Air flight to Ghana, so I went up to enquire about the Banjul flight. Luckily the flight was still scheduled and they quickly gave me my boarding pass.

Spending my last naira on some water and snacks. Again, I was apprehensive about possible corruption at the airport but had no issues whatsoever getting through immigration, customs and security.

Our 737 for the flight to Banjul (and on to Dakar). After a 2 hour delay was announced some of the other passengers started to get a bit irritated with a bit of yelling and cursing, but as it was my first time flying a Nigerian airline I had low expectations and was just glad for it to be operating at all.

We finally departed at 11pm, and were then served chicken and rice on the 3.5 hour flight.

And arriving at Banjul at 1:30am.

And waiting in line for the luggage X-ray after being stamped into The Gambia, my 17th new country visited in 2015.

I then caught a taxi for 700 dalasi ($17) to the Palm Beach Hotel. The hotel was rated 2 stars and only cost 35 euro a night including breakfast, so I had low expectations. The wifi was super slow but the AC was fine, and it had a perfect location right on the beach. I then crashed out at 3am, ready to get up at 7am for a tour of some of the sights of The Gambia tomorrow.