FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tru by Hilton
Thread: Tru by Hilton
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:11 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I don't think this is aimed at points/miles collectors.

I don't think this is aimed at "traditional" (read: expense account) business travelers.

Millennials have been generally doing with less "stuff" than previous generations - used to smaller and more spartan spaces as they re-urbanize.

PRICE is going to be a big factor - press release said $90-100 but not enough specificity to really nail down comps. It did mention some cities but again, not enough detail. If it's $100/night in downtown Chicago in summer, they're gonna get takers.

People who read FT and chase miles/points and "aspirational" redemptions are who we personally surround ourselves with, but it's a big world out there and there is money to be made off of people not like us - people who buy on price and location and don't worry about status/points; they just put the money in their pocket. Look at WN/NK/Asian ULCCs, look at airbnb (how many listings are for single rooms? - Lots), look at the OTAs, etc.
Spot on. Would I stay at a place like this in Chicago/DC/NYC in the summer for significant savings over a full-service hotel? Absolutely. I don't need a marble-covered bathroom or overpriced room service very often. But I've stayed in places like Ibis Budget in London because otherwise I'd be dropping north of $200 on a hotel room that's being used for sleep and showers.