FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:15 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
SUNDAY NIGHT

Headed out just after 7 on Sunday night and got off the 1 train at 34th Street. Had a subway car to myself the first couple stops.

Walked behind Madison Square Garden to a pizza place I enjoy every visit. Had sicilian sausage and pepperoni. Total bill with a drink was $10. Talked to the employees for a bit who told me they closed at 3pm Saturday during the storm, primarily because there just wasn’t anyone out on the street to come in.

Intersections in this area were a challenge with pools of water and slush that hid more pools of water. Had to be very careful when crossing and pick a spot where I would be at less risk. Saw one person leap right into a pool of water with athletic shoes. He did not come out dry.

Passed the Empire State Building as I walked up to Times Square. Saw one the brush trucks that are used on sidewalks in place of snow plows. I’ve seen some portable units like this, too.

Usual lineup of characters were present in Times Square making sure the tourists did not leave without tipping them.

Was back at the hotel around 11pm. Had a car to myself the last couple stops again.

MONDAY

I missed my opportunity this trip to become an emergency snow shoveler for the City for $13.50 and hour. Maybe next trip during a blizzard. Lots of folks out this morning near my hotel clearing sidewalks and subway stairs.

Went out for breakfast at 9:30am to a deli just two blocks from my hotel. Pancakes and two eggs were $5.

Checked out of the hotel at 11a.m. (published check-out time) and got the R train into Brooklyn to the A train to Howard Beach. AirTrain only running as far as Federal Circle today - saw workers on their tracks shoveling snow. No charge for entry (usually $5) and caught a shuttle bus to terminal 8 there. Added on 30 minutes travel time, but I’m out here early enough that it’s not a problem.

Had TSA precheck and was #1 in that line, so right through security. Have a 5:15pm flight out with a connection and hope to be home after midnight.

New photos start here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...-sno/i-Ldmgdjg