FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the next stop for Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:36 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I'm sticking to short-and-sweet with this post as well:
Before any weasel-word cover is granted to AGR on this, in post 83 of this thread, Anthony explicitly stated, and I quote directly in reference to the Capitol Limited:

"1. Today, a coach seat on the Capitol Limited is redeemed at 8,000 points (a two-zone award), and in the new structure, the same seat could be redeemed between 3,312 and 6,521 points depending on fare chosen. Today, a roomette is redeemed at 20,000 points (a two-zone award), and in the new structure, the same room could be redeemed between 8,901 and 17,319 points. (Even if you add a second passenger to the room, the maximum possible rate is 20,631 points, very close to today’s 20,000 rate and it would certainly be cheaper than today with any of the four possible lower accommodation charges).

"2. Today, a bedroom is redeemed at 40,000 points (a two-zone award), and in the new structure, the same room could be redeemed between 13,490 and 27,531 points! (Even if you add a second passenger to the room, the maximum possible rate is 30,843 points, over 9,000 points less than today.)"

Logged out of Amtrak.com (so as to get the "peon price"), when I enter a booking date of 03/25/16 I get a price of 26,358 points for one person in a roomette and 33,120 for two people in a roomette as well as 34,362 for one person in a bedroom and 41,124 for two people in a bedroom. Notwithstanding a possible (modest) fare hike in the interim, the price I just quoted you for a roomette for one from Amtrak.com is 52.2% higher than the highest price Anthony quoted us and the roomette for two is about 60% higher.

Setting aside any allowance for weasel-wording, had Anthony been honest he would have given us a FAR broader range and said something about surge pricing at that point. For whatever reason he did not; while I know that his posts here are not intended as full and complete coverage of policy, in this particular case there is a direct, definite, and concrete contradiction between what Anthony said and what has actually transpired.

And no, I'm not going to buy "We decided to do this at the last minute". The odds of this NOT being premeditated seem, to me, to be utterly remote.