FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:20 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA to New York City - it's a winter wonderland here

FRIDAY

Made it to SFO at 4a.m. Friday morning for a 5:17am departure to DFW, and then onto LGA from there. Had TSA precheck on my boarding pass and zipped right through that line (getting it about 50% of the time now at no cost). Spent 45 mins in the Admiral’s Club before leaving for the gate at 4:40a.m. Boarding commenced on time. My upgrade had cleared a few days out. I hate this early flight, but it's the only one that worked for my low weekend fare. Only good thing is the lack of traffic for the hour drive to off airport parking.

My breakfast selection was french toast strata:

Had about an hour between flights at DFW so just went to the gate in the C terminal (had arrived in A) to await departure at 11:55a.m. Upgrade cleared at the gate and changed on my AA app on the cell phone, so no need to check back with an agent.

Lunch selection on this flight was a nice salad with chicken, along with carrot cake for dessert:

Arrived at La Guardia at 4p.m. to find a text message that my return flight to DFW on Sunday afternoon cancelled. Checked with an agent in the Admiral’s Club there and was told nothing else was available Sunday and I was rebooked for a Monday afternoon departure. Best I could do right there and didn’t want to chance losing Monday availability for not acting quickly.

Took the M60 bus to 116th and Broadway, right near Columbia University, and changed over to the 1 subway line there. Got off at Rector Street and the hotel was a block away.

For this stay I’m at the Holiday Inn on Washington Street in the financial district on an average $88 rate, in a 43rd floor room with a Jersey City/Hudson River view. Agent told me I would enjoy the room and he was right. It even has a view towards One World Trade Center from a small window next to the bed (hadn’t noticed that until I was ready to go to sleep).

After checking in at the hotel had a look on Expert Flyer and noticed one seat home on late Sunday night. Called AA and moved over to that. Hopefully it will go out on time. Agent answered right away which surprised me with weather issues in play. Had e-mail confirmation within a few minutes and one less thing to worry about this weekend.

Headed out for a few hours in the financial district, stopping by One World Trade Center, Engine/Ladder 10, the Stock Exchange and Federal Hall, and a dinner stop at Chipotle.

Was back at the hotel at 11pm. Snow just started coming down before 10p.m. The Jersey City view from the hotel was deteriorating:

Photos for this trip report are here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-US...y-January-sno/