FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:03 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Paros_fan
I've just tried to book using my voucher on JNB - CPT return in Dec 2016. Voucher expires June 2016.
Spoke to 2 different agents and want to be sure before booking with the agent that said yes as it impacts another flight.
Do I just need to book before the expiry date of the voucher and travel anytime, or book and fly the outbound before the expiry?
As stated in the Wiki above, you must encumber the voucher before it expires. I read that as have the voucher applied, so mailing it in may not work if they don't get to your ticket until after it expires (although there is good reason to expect them to waive that at long as it is post-marked before hand). I would suggest making your way to an AA TA (airport or ticket office) and get the ticket issued immediately.

Also, be aware, any refund of the new ticket should be to the same form of payment and the new voucher would have the same expiration date as the original. So don't expect to get another year to use the funds.