FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:28 am
SacTownGuy

Mailani Tower - so-so

So we stayed in the Mailani Tower last week. We stayed in the same building last year before it was "re-branded." As discussed by others the only difference is a wall downstairs, blocking off the elevators and limited food/drink offerings. The main reason we switched to it was to guarantee an ocean view with the nice lanni. I am only gold so figured an upgrade was a long shot. It was about $100 more per night than the grove rooms. I think the tower was about $465 a night. Worth the extra $100? For the ocean view and comfortable lanni yes but the lounge is minimal. Breakfast was VERY sparse to me. On vacation I like a full breakfast. On the other hand if you are a light eater then it's perfect. Yogurt, granola, fruit, some baked goods. The evening free drinks was long. It was like 5-8 or even 8:30. However, the two nights we went it was just beer and wine. Apparently on some nights they have a specialty cocktail but that is not every night. The hotel was allegedly sold out but the lounge was never too busy. Never a problem getting seats together. One funny. When I booked it the cost was an extra $8 for a "high floor" v. a "low floor." I figured why not. When checking in, at the separate Mailani Tower check-in desk, the woman proudly told me we had a high floor. There are 17 floors in the tower. Our "high floor" was 8. Hmmmmmmmm... not sure on that math. The rooms are identical to before the refurb so I think it is just the elevator area that was re-done. The pool is still tiny but beach is nice. People complain about the beach chairs. It's $40 for two chairs and am umbrella each day. Plus a little table if you are in the roped off section. There is no resort fee there currently so I don't see what the big deal is about a few bucks for beach chairs. You are already dropping five bills a night so what's another $40 for good seating on the beach!? Excellent housekeeping and pool/beach attendants. Food at Mai Tai bar is still fine but not worth going out of the way for in our opinions. The hotel is still great for a romantic get-a-way in my book and I am sure we'll be back.

Last edited by SacTownGuy; Jan 22, 2016 at 9:42 am