FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help - opinion on BA's attitude
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:57 pm
JAXBA

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by PeyoNYC
...made it to the airport 45' before departure, AA agent offered me to abandon my luggage to travel

I got to T7 only to realize that the AA flight hadn't gone yet, over one hour delay.
Basically, you arrived after the deadline for baggage acceptance but during a window where they would still accept you. At the time, they were saying that your bag wouldn't make the flight in time, but you could, which is fair although not ideal or practical.

Although the flight ended up being delayed, we can't tell now when that delay became known. It might have been after the baggage acceptance deadline, in which case they still wouldn't have opened baggage acceptance up again. It might have been just before boarding, after you had already decided not to go without your bag. That it was delayed probably makes you feel that you and your bag could have gone after all - but baggage cut off is determined by scheduled departure to ensure that late bags don't cause a further delay. Unfortunately, you (with a bag) missed the flight.

I'm sort of furious because

1/ I expect the counterpart of my loyalty to be a kind of "we treat you as a human not a machine" attitude, and BA sounded horrifically bureaucratic from A to Z -- what if I have a bigger problem? Will they be understanding and helpful? and

2/ arriving near the cut-off time happened to me a few times in the past, including arriving one day after departure on a super cheap LH Y ticket, and they always got me on board for free or a nominal fee.
1) If you have a bigger problem, such as? Missing a flight due to hospitalisation? Covered. Death? Covered. Act of God? Pretty much covered.

2) AA at least gave you an option, although undesirable to you. I'd count the previous times you've got away for free/nominal fee as times to be thankful for; as exceptions rather than the rule.