FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help - opinion on BA's attitude
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:32 pm
PeyoNYC

Help - opinion on BA's attitude

Hi,

Would love to hear your comments on that and advise on what to do.

Was traveling JFK to CDG on AA with a BA ticket in biz (promo ticket). Got caught in traffic and made it to the airport 45' before departure, AA agent offered me to abandon my luggage to travel (!), which I couldn't (1 month away from home, ok big bag, which I used to take in cabin sometimes btw).

No AA flight to rebook me on, so AA agent called BA, who told her to call gold guest list line (I'm a member). After a long time, they said that the ticket was restricted and had me buy a new one (in miles). Only premium was available, I tried to use the joker to go biz but I couldn't (it has to be more than 24 hours in advance).

I got to T7 only to realize that the AA flight hadn't gone yet, over one hour delay. BA staff in the Concorde room told me AA may have well try to cancel my ticket so they don't refund in case of a cancellation (!).

I became slightly paranoiac at this stage and called the GGL again, they deeply apologize, and said they would open a case with customer relations. Now Customer Relations answered very quickly and basically told me to get lost (politely).

I'm sort of furious because 1/ I expect the counterpart of my loyalty to be a kind of "we treat you as a human not a machine" attitude, and BA sounded horrifically bureaucratic from A to Z -- what if I have a bigger problem? Will they be understanding and helpful? and 2/ arriving near the cut-off time happened to me a few times in the past, including arriving one day after departure on a super cheap LH Y ticket, and they always got me on board for free or a nominal fee.

I don't feel entitled to anything, but I have a serious trust problem with BA. Do you guys have similar experience? Do they care?

So far I only asked for refund of taxes on the unused ticket, sincere apologies, and a symbolic something like half of the miles I used for the ticket (or anything, it was 30k anyway, just a sign of good will). It really does not seem exaggerated to me... I know I was 15' late, but who cannot make the difference between being caught in traffic 15' and making a proper exchange on a ticket? Bureaucrats?

What do you think? Any experience if this kind of situation? So far they had always been very nice to me and helped me, I had been spoiled maybe -- but I travel long haul more than twice a month and it's the first time I meet stubborn/bureaucratic staff like this.

Best

P