FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter Storm Advisory: Heavy snow may affect travel to or from WAS, NYC, PHL Jan 2016
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:34 pm
jsguyrus

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jiburi
How different is the rebooking options, if FAA keeps one, two, or all three of the Washington DC airports open, and my originally booking flight is cancelled and stayed intact (verses voluntary rebooking).

Would AS rebook for free to the other operating AS Washington area flights?

If AS doesn't operate any of the flights to Washington DC airports, would keeping intact the reservation allow for travel on other airlines?

Would AS allow for mileage accrual on my involuntarily cancelled and rebooked portion of my itinerary (due to weather) if I travel on other airlines?

(Am trying to weigh options to rebooking now with new dates at higher fares (which are not within the rebooking window), vs rebooking later keeping intact the original dates.)

Jiburi
If this storm comes in as expected, AS will simply cancel all flights to the area so their aircraft don't get stranded. Because this is weather related I doubt they would rebook on other airlines and honestly all the other airlines will probably also cancel their flights as well. If you try to keep the same dates you are rolling the dice, if by some chance you get rebooked on another airline you have an excellent chance of getting stranded at ORD or some other hub with thousands of others all trying to rebook flights.

If it were me I would rebook for different dates.