FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:53 pm
stifle
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by User Name
Sorry for the cross-post, but realize the traffic and depth of knowledge is higher here than the VS forum, and figure the law is the law regardless of UK-based airline.

Booked JFK-LHR on morning VS flight. Booked in PE but MFU to J. Flight canceled with 2h notice. After much wrangling got rebooked onto BA178. Next VS J seat minimum 9 hours 50 minutes later. Only WTP available on BA. Made sure my BAEC number not added as want to retain right to original routing credit on VS (so can requalify as Gold with them).

Case for EU261 involuntary downgrade against VS? I accepted the WTP seat on BA (as no J available on BA178), but would have had to wait close to 10 hours for next available J seat on VS. This actually wasn't even offered to me as I proactively said I wanted rebooking on BA in order to get to London that evening.

Thanks in advance.
You have an arguable case, but it is not cut and dry. Particularly if they were going to offer you a confirmed business class seat on VS.