FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Policy for Zika Virus: Refunds, etc.
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:22 pm
owflyer

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by rikramer
My wife and I booked a trip to Puerto Rico in February. Since this time, my wife has become pregnant. This morning we learned about the new CDC warning about the Zika virus in Puerto Rico. The CDC states: Women who are pregnant (in any trimester): Consider postponing travel to any area where Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

This virus is very scary. Only 1 in 5 women infected show symptoms and the resulting birth defects to the baby are horrible.

Needless to say, we are not willing to go on vacation and take this major risk. I foolishly purchased our tickets instead of using miles so now I am stuck. Do I have any hope at all of getting this refunded due to the circumstances? I know I can get a credit (less $200/each), but it needs to be used within 12 months of date of purchase (November), and with a baby coming in August, we are likely going to have this credit go to waste.

I called the EXP line this morning and the agent told me to write to AA customer service via the online form which I've done. Are there any other avenues that I should pursue? Is it possible that AA will institute a formal travel advisory for pregnant woman to the infected locations? It seems like a small population that would be impacted and absolutely the right thing for them to do.
I would reach out to @americanair.