FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:18 am
Annexation

Programs: Mileage Plus, Amtrak (and various scattered miles)
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I've been thinking about getting the United Mileagelus Explorer Card. Because of a drop off in travel, status is expiring, so the free checked bag has some value to me. But the earnings are inferior which has caused me to pause (we've had the CSP for years now).

I see that the business card offers better benefits. For the same price you get the same general benefits (same bonus, 2 club passes a year, free checked bag, 10,000 bonus miles if you spend $25,000, etc.), but you also get double points on business supply stores, gas, and restaurants (and CSP doesn't give that bonus on gas, so it would make particular sense).

Two questions

(1) For starters, why would Chase make the business benefits so much better than the personal ones? I don't understand the reason for Chase to do that.

(2) I'm an attorney. Can I apply for and use the business card for my business expenses? I'm not a business owner, so I would like to understand who can get the business card and for what purposes.
"By becoming a Visa Business Card cardmember, you agree that the card is being used only for business purposes and that the card is being issued to a public or private company including a sole proprietor or employees or contractors of an organization."

Don't comingle funds and call them to ask if organization is limited to non-profits or a catch-all for all companies, corporations, associations or all sorts and you should have your answer, but the agreement does include employees can use the card and there's nothing about only owners may be "cardmembers". Provisions for employee spending is there, but I'd check with both Chase and your boss if Chase gives an answer that you don't like. I feel like random out of pocket expenses as a lawyer, whether in a big city or a small town, do end up adding up and waiting for reimbursement sometimes is a fight in court of its own.

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Since you are an attorney...... send Chase a letter asking them why would they do such a thing since NO ONE here would be able to answer you.
Hey demand letters cost money! That $50 statement credit would vanish before he writes the address down!