FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 master thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:04 am
ENTP

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WonderPink
Hi guys,

[...]

I've read the guide at the top of the thread but may have somewhat of a silly question. Since most of those journey's do not originate from London, what do Londoners do to get to those places...wouldn't those trips come with costs too?
Welcome!
Taxes and airport fees in the UK are relatively high, whereas in several European countries, at least in Economy, they are really quite low.

My typical strategy, which I know is shared by many other here, is to book a £17.50+4500 Avios flight ex-UK, to benefit from the cap in cash fees (there's something annoying about paying £800 for DUB-LON-SFO return in Business and then BA wanting £80 for a LHR-DUB economy single!) and then a hand-baggage only ("HBO") economy single DUB-LHR. Works with places like Spain and Norway too, and many others. The cheapest HBO fares on these routes can be picked up for around £30, and will earn a Gold member 625 or so Avios, worth at least a fiver.

If you want to check luggage on your final LON-X-LON sectors, an Avios flight comes with baggage allowance. Have a look at booking two one ways as a DUB-LON single Avios flight can have taxes and fees around £7.