FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non chip and pin credit cards in Europe
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:27 am
Michilander

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LoraM
I had a terrible experience this fall when the car reader at a French gas station wouldn't except my pin and signature Visa on a Sunday. No way to pay with cash, I'd have been stranded if not for the kindness of a stranger who paid with his card. Upon return, I searched for a Visa card with true chip and pin technology that would work in Europe. I had already tried SDFCU's card and it didn't work in Sweden. I signed up for M&T'sVisa Signature card.

I was assured in December 2015 that this card is true chip N pin. I'm now using my M&T Visa Chip n Pin in England and Sweden for the first time. When used at a restaurant at Heathrow, the portable card reader required a signature, not the pin code I had set up. I called M&T and was assured the card is set up correctly and the the problem was with the card reader. Strange that the same reader took pin numbers from other diners.

Same problem in Stockholm. Every POS (taxis, restaurants) spits out a signature page and the grocery store clerk needs to check my id. I know these card readers don't ask this of the Swedish credit card holders. Why isn't the US Cards with chip n pin triggering a request for a pin? Can I override the default for a signature?
I have had the M&T card for about a year now. It has kicked out a signature page every single time I went to a manned station (trains, restaurants, shops, etc.). However, the chip and pin function worked just fine at the ticket machines in Brussels. I haven't had a chance to try it at other unattended stations, but I suspect that is when it will work.