FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United does not need to compete in Newark?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:17 am
sinoflyer

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
... When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was transferred to a gentleman who insisted that this was the additional fare ...

... When I expressed my shock at that fare difference, his explanation was ...

... When I asked him if I heard correctly, he confirmed that this is exactly what he meant...
I didn't participate in your conversation to hear everything that was said, but I've had many conversations like this before. It sounds like you were not going to be content unless you got what you wanted. The "supervisor" may be clumsy in giving you such a straightforward (and overgeneralized) explanation, but in methinks you asked for it.

FWIW, I recently had a full J ticket on JL for weekday travel. When I asked about switching to a weekend flight, the fare difference was an extra $800. You can certainly say that, because there is competition on my route, my fare difference was $800 versus your $1,300 for a shorter trip. But as far as fare rules are concerned, both of us got it by the book.