FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exploring ZMapp of West Africa...or how I got detained by the CDC
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:06 am
ironmanjt

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
2) Visiting The Gambia

About two weeks before the trip, I got an email from SPG that the Sheraton Gambia Resort was no longer the Sheraton, but had kindly agreed to honour SPG awards but not benefits. Well, considering it was like 2,000 SPG points per night (a complete bargain since I value points at 2.5 cents...meaning $50 a night and the paid rates were over $200) I could forego the benefits for a super cheap stay.

Upon arrival, the resort looked much better than online reviews would lead you to believe. People complained about shoddy run-down facilities, terrible food, disinterested staff, mosquitos eating you alive in the middle of the night, you name it. People did not have nice things to say about this property.

I got a nice little bungalow on the second level, and overall it seemed good. It was a bit damp and musty smelling, but hey, this is a country where humidity hovers around 99% so what do you except. Clearly not rebranded toiletries:

After a quick shower to wash off the plane gross, headed down to the hotel outdoor bar and cafe for a bit of dinner. The creatively named JulBrew (Banjul, get it?) and a big heaping plate of chicken yassa. Definitely super tasty! I don't know why people were complaining about the food...AND cheap! Most of the people at the resort were Brits and on all-inclusive package tours, so they seemed quite confused when we wanted to sign our drinks to the room.

Had a good night of sleep, and in the morning had to be up at oh-dark-thirty for our "Roots Tour." Daniel had found the tour, and since the former Sheraton was a bit out of town, we were the early stop on the tourbus pickup. The bus kindly came with a map of The Gambia on it, so you could see the river - part of which we'd be navigating. This seemed like a good way to spend the day, since when an entire country is named after a river it would be a shame not to spend some significant time on said river!

The views from the pier weren't half bad...it was a bit overcast, which was great for keeping the temps cool:

Our boat:

Just kidding...this was our boat...marginally better:

After a nice two hour or so cruise up the river in relative cloud cover, we finally docked on this beach:

...and arrived at the twin villages of Albreda and Juffureh:

The "Roots Tour" was so named because in the 1970s American author Alex Haley wrote a book called Roots which claimed he had traced his slave ancestry all the way back to The Gambia and "The African Kunta Kinte." These were the villages Kunta Kinte were supposedly from. I say supposedly, because there's lots of controversy around the book involving plagiarism and allegations that the book is largely a work of fiction based on what he experienced trying to find his roots. Regardless, it was a very interesting insight into his journeys. A "never again" monument to slavery in the village:

The remains of an old Portuguese church - possibly one of the earliest Christian churches in Africa:

The women and children of the village were all assembled to sing for us...and of course the donation basket was out:

Jali, playing the Kora - he wrote a special Ode to Jordan the Traveler...unfortunately I can't get the video to post!

Jufurreh...a baby-friendly community!

...and there were certainly lots of children around...again, note the donation tin. Pay us for being cute!

Women pounding out grains for either tourist photos or to eat...it was unclear which. But the way she pointed at me...and said YOU PAY ME...I have my suspicions...

We were followed around the village the whole time by a group of local Gambian police, including my friend "The Colonel." He kept saying to me "Big man! My friend! You lift weights!" To his credit, he never asked for money or anything, he just wanted a photo as we got on the boat and ready to leave...I love this pic!

Once back on the boat, a buffet lunch was served. Some spicy beef rice (with extra hot sauce), pumpkin, and other local vegetables. Rather tasty!

Soon, we were approaching Kunta Kinteh Island:

Why was this island so important? Well I'm glad you asked!

Remains of the old fort where slaves were held, often hundreds to a room, before transport on to Goree Island in Senegal and eventually across the ocean:

Cannons from the Old Fort:

More ruins of the fort:

After the island, we settled in for the long two plus hour cruise back to Banjul. Chatted with a couple of Londoners on the trip back, who snapped this pic of us just handing out on the boat...complete with passed out Swedish tourist in the foreground:

On the way back into town, we convinced the bus driver to stop a second to snap a picture of the national liberation monument:

Back at the ex-Sheraton, and after a quick dinner completely passed out. Daniel was staying at another place across the street, so once we had dinner he took off and I'm pretty sure we all passed out quickly.

Up early, and a nice view of the pool, with the ocean in the background:

Beach chairs, and a volleyball net:

The beach at the resort...only moderately crawling with local hucksters trying to entice you on boat tours, "come drink with me in my local bar" (I mean, I'd love the chance to get drugged and mugged, sign me up!), etc...and it was a nice beach, so worth the mild hassle:

Strange art at the resort. There were several cats roaming the property, and this was apparently an artist's rendition:

The walls of the resort were covered with all sorts of local art:

We had arranged with the bus driver from the day before to drive us to the Senegal border in the morning instead of trying to negotiate with some random taxi, and while we waited, I checked out the local news. The President was apparently urging all Gambians to live "as one strong family"

There were also 20+ full page ads in the newspaper from various companies, wishing His Excellency, President Sheikh Professor Doctor Al-Hadji Yahya AJJ Jammeh Babili Mansa a Happy New Year. Now if that name isn't impressive...

Our driver arrived right on time, and it was time to get on the road for Senegal!