FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:13 am
returnoftheyeti

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I just called while sitting here at SFO waiting for my delayed Southwest flight. One quick transfer and the agent was able to help me immediately. I suggested flight TK 80 as an alternative, and she booked it for me. Les than 10 min on the phone, kudos to UA
Well, sort of. Due to a work conflict we had to push our flights up one week. I went to change the reservation and it was not able to be pulled up online. Hum, ok so I call in. The reservation agent can find it either. On hold for just under 10 min. She comes back and says Turkish canceled all my tickets except for ORD-IST. She puts me back on hold for 15 minutes, comes back and says she is going to fix it. I tell here I want to make a change. She sounds terrified. Seriously, her reaction when I told her I wanted to change the ticket was the same as if I had just told her that Godzilla had just trashed the Golden Gate Bridge. My S/O was in the other room started laughing. She gets the dates from me for the change and back on hold. Another 15 minutes and she comes back and explained that she has to cancel my old award ticket, rebook the new one for me. I am ok with that.

In the end we got it done, I was on the phone for just over an hour. But the end result is that I was able to change my ticket with no change fees, and I even saved a few bucks as the Turkey Airport Fee on my Ticket went down.

I will be keeping a close eye on these tickets though to make sure they don't magically get cancelled again.

I am not unhappy with UA customer service, I am just glad I caught it early. How often does stuff like this happen to non-savvy travelers. They go to check in at 24 hours, or show up at the airport and find out their tickets are just gone? What do they do?