FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does a friend in Europe wire money from her EU bank to my US bank account?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:37 am
Gagravarr

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Generally speaking, most European consumer banks will charge both a spread and a fee for international payments, so should be avoided like the plague. A handful are more reasonable, Citibank at the Gold level isn't too bad IIRC for one example

For small sums of money, you generally want someone with no fees, as even a bad spread will beat a fixed fee. For larger sums, a $5-$10 payment/withdrawl/etc fee isn't too much of a worry, as long as the spread is low.

For this sort of amount, on a one-off, I think your best bet right now is Currency Fair. Sign up with this link and you'll get one free transfer (and so will I for referring you, for full disclosure). Have your friend send currencyfair the euros as a SEPA transfer, which should be free. Exchange on their marketplace for a 0.35% spread, and with a bit of patience you can even beat the mid-market rates. Then use the free transfer from the signup to have the USD deposited as a US-domestic transfer into your account

Last edited by stut; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:14 am Reason: Referral URL removed