FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:27 am
illinidad

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by Happy
At Citi, they are coded differently. Bill Pay from places like you mentioned, Citi coded it as Bill Pay from ONE account - your card number, hence they are coming from ONE single account as far as the system is concerned. MOs are coded with EACH MO's ID number as a payment account. You can go into your Payment Activity to see how Citi coded your payments.

Go to your cards Payment Activity screen and you can readily see how each bank codes the form of payment. You will LEARN a lot how each bank handles payments.
I've seen this on my statements (where a billpay is coded as coming from the card number that is being paid). You should keep in mind that that is just how it is presented in the statement. Deeper down in the system they do know the funding source bank and account numbers. I'm stating the obvious, but they have to in order for the payment to complete. I don't work at a bank, but I would be shocked if the fraud department did not have access to this information. So, I try to tread a little cautiously even with bill pay. Have not used MOs, but I'm not surprised at this information.