FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:28 am
teemuflyer

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
I wouldn't go quite that far, but their service is ridiculously inconsistent. Give me AS's 20-minute guarantee over AA's "priority" service any day.

That said, I seriously doubt the priority tags are going anywhere. It'd go counter to basically the whole oneworld alliance.
Originally Posted by aanswer
Wonder how that would work out on INTL trips connecting to other OW carriers.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That depends on the carrier you connect to. No matter what carrier I use for connection to Japan Airlines, there is always a JAL F tag on my bag in Tokyo. Also replacing another OW carrier's tag.
In the end it is the bar code not the priority tag that tells the system where the bag should be loaded.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
This is what I have been told by several LUS checkin agents -- that the physical tag doesn't really matter, if you have priority baggage handling it is encoded in the barcode, and your bag should come out first.

I don't often check bags, but I find that they always come out first on LUS at DCA. I agree with a some of the other posters that it's heavily station-dependent.
Originally Posted by Centurion
The priorty tags will stay unless AA wants to drop out of international routes where other airlines use the tags and actually make them a priorty.
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Don't give me any ideas!! Priority Bag Tags aren't going away.
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
I noticed that the bag tags say "priority" on them so maybe just the orange tag is going away and there will be an automated priority process now? Just speculation...
Although it is only rumor, I think ScreenGuy is exactly right. AY has gotten ridden of the orange tags sometime ago (I complained about this in the AY forum, and was told this was the case). Still got my bag out in the first batch at LHR flying from HEL.

This would make sense for 2 reasons I can think of:

1) How much inefficiency does it add having to add those orange tags on the thousands of bags a day (don't know if it tens, hundreds of thousands or more)

2) The "priority" being automatically added and coded will eventually allow for better systematic support for this OW benefit across all airlines and airports