FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:42 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DCF
The tower view is nice but the rooms are as ever fairly plain and small. And the two level suites are too low to have a view.

The Mailani lounge is absolute garbage. Food is grossly inferior to the Sheraton Waikiki lounge next door and while there is a three hour slot with wine in the evening, there is literally zero by way of other drinks, not even soda.

It is the area in front of the elevators. They tried to call it a lounge six years ago and were laughed out of Waikiki and they are trying it again - they have even installed a single wall with a door to try to con people into believing it's a lounge.
I think this is a bit harsh. The food offering whilst not extensive is high quality whereas the fearing over at the Sheraton is extensive but low quality. The Mailani rooms are MUCH better than the frankly awful and tiny rooms at the SW even though they aren't exactly capacious.

The evening drinks offer has a cocktail of the day too plus waters (I am sure sparkling water and juices/Virgin cocktails were on offer too. I also thought beer was an option.

Whilst the lounge is quite limited and can get hot being totally exposed and without AC it is nicely laid out. In many ways the SW lounge layout is far better but it gets clogged up with argue numbers of Plats and families and the ambience becomes rather unpleasant.