FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Mileage Plus versus Miles and More
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:37 pm
SFflyer123

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by garykung
The 36-month time limit is lifted when you become a M&M elite or having a M&M credit card.

First - thanks for all of your amazing trip report videos.

In your case, I would not suggest switching to M&M from M+.

UA gives out 6 GPUs and 4 RPUs when you requalify for 1K. However, Senator only gets 2 SWUs. It seems that you were able to use your GPUs most of the time. In that case, the 4 extra GPUs will benefit you more.

It will be another story if you ever make HON Circle.

Up to you. Since the expiration policy will not apply to credit card holders, I don't see why not if you want to earn miles for other programs.
Thanks for the kind words, Gary. Good advice.

Originally Posted by cbourl
Sorry but IMHO MileagePlus >>>>>>>> Miles + More
Fees for awards are much less on United c.f Miles+More As are point requirements with Saver Awards for 1ks/Global Services
Just finished a 115K + US$78 award ZRH-FRA C on LH FRA-SIN on LH F and SIN-ADL on SQ in C You could never do this on M+M And after a ADL-SIN-BKK in C SQ/TG BKK-FRA TG F FRA-MXP LH C for 115K Miles + AU$80 Taxes
Throw in 45000 for LX C MXP-ZRH-TLV and another 45000 TLV TLV-ZRH in LX C This would never be possible on M+M M+M Senator or higher status is worth maintaining for preferred seating on LX/LH (1A or window seats on LH/LX F longhauls) and also for the ablity to upgrade on LX using a SAUA or M+M eVouchers
Good to know. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The only real advantage of M&M is much greater access to LH J and F award space (but with fuel surcharges). If that's your #1 priority, M&M could make sense for you. Otherwise MP is the better program.
Yes, for me, I will have life-time UA Gold since I will be UA MM. Thus, I will always have economy plus seating. But from SFO, it's very hard to get LX awards to Europe. You can get LH near the last minute, but nearly impossible for LX. How much is the surcharge on LH and LX? When I book LH on UA, it's usually $150 surcharge for the ticket anyway.

Thanks.