FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Direct Flight or Connecting Flight with Newborn
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:33 pm
CDTraveler

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Didn't find anything on this specific question in search

We will be flying with a baby between 6 weeks and 3 months. The difference in price with the connecting flights is about $500/ticket (so $1000 plus whatever small difference in the infant ticket). So not a small amount.

How hard is it on the baby to connect (I guess mostly it's the additional take-off/landing)? How about on parents - anyone with experience on whether it was really difficult with dealing with the extra de-planing and boarding, security, etc.?

What do people who have flown both with a baby recommend?
Connections basically mean nothing to infants. Other factors mean much more, like colic (and you'll be right in the age range for that), stuffy noses, post vaccination fevers, etc.

If this trip is elective, i.e. not a relocation move, I have to ask why you'd take an infant that young on a 10 to 12 hour flight? Adoption or vacation? As mentioned below, the child won't be immunized against most diseases yet (and any immunity from breast milk is really pretty minimal, especially when compared to being shut in a metal tube with someone ill for 10 to 12 hours).

As for how hard the connection is on the parents, well, I'm probably in the minority here, but I never found connections to as difficult as some make them out to be. When we started flying with my son (age 4 months, outside of flu season) we had his bucket seat, diaper bag and a basic frame stroller the bucket snapped into. I never dreamed of packing a crib, playpen, etc. as some here do. My preference was for extra diapers, less gear when traveling.