FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking LATAM (LAN and TAM) award / flights using AA miles
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:18 am
Ilove2fly

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
From SAN (or LAX) to Patagonia

I am planning to use my stash of AA miles (first time in 20 years) for two J tickets from SAN to Patagonia in Feb or March 2017. I have been reading a lot of posts and realized that this might be a complex task. I have both BA Avios (enough only for short flights) and AA miles. Questions are:

1. What is the best combined use of the two to give me the best chance of scoring two seats?
2. Would it be easier to fly into SCL or EZE, stay for a few day and connect using wholly within awards?
3. How easy is it to arrange the ground transport to arrive one country (say Chile) and out the other (Argentina)?
4. When using AA miles is it possible to travel on combined AA and LAN operated flights without costing additional AA miles.
5. The tickets are for my son and his bride. I am assuming AA does not have a restriction on using miles for this purpose. I am not sure about BA rules on this as well. (more reading on the BA forum.)

Many thanks.