FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated-archived)
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:40 pm
mmjaysee

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hikouki
I wanted to know if 10,000 AAdvantage bonus miles is ample compensation for denied boarding/ missed international connection.

I was traveling from (TX airport)- DFW - LAX - (Asia) on a single ticket. Carrier until LAX was AA, then CX from LAX onwards.

I made it to DFW on time for the connecting to LAX, but because of the massive storm in Dallas, there was a backlog of delays from the previous day. My flight from DFW-LAX was delayed only an hour or so because of the weather, but the substitute 757 of AA kept having a battery breakdown. Eventually they found a plane, but crew timed out after we boarded. They found a new set an hour later. In all, I was 8 hours delayed arriving in LAX (my original layover time was about 6.5hours).

On arrival at LAX, CX had already left. A gate agent greeted me with "exchanged" tickets - they downgraded me from CX business to AA economy to Tokyo then onwards to my final destination! The new flight was 13 hours later than my original. They gave me a meal and hotel voucher for the night at the Sheraton which was not honored by the hotel due to over-issuance of free vouchers by AA, and rooms were full anyway. I had to spend the night at the ticket counter then shower at the Admirals club.

(Eventually, I made it to the CX counters and after negotiations with AA, they re-honored my ticket on one of their flights.)

Am I entitled to denied boarding compensation for the fact that the reason for the delay was technical (aircraft battery problems and crew timeout)? Am I entitled to any other compensation for their hotel vouchers that didn't work, and forced me to camp out at the airport? I emailed them and said that they added 10,000 bonus miles to my AAdvantage account.

Thanks for any advice.
I don't think this is technically denied boarding compensation, it's more of a mechanical delay (MX). 10K miles seems a bit low for a 13 hour delay for MX. If it was weather-related, you'd probably get nothing. I'd try writing back (you can actually just reply to the email) and tell them it's not sufficient in your eyes given the 13 hour delay. And you can also tell them you'd prefer a voucher instead of miles (if that's your preference). I think 10K miles equals about $100-$150 voucher. Maybe they'll up it to 15K or 20K miles ($200-$250).