FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:51 pm
NWA777

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
We were in BTV going through TSA checkpoint and the female TSA person said I need to check my bag. I said this bag (Tumi International Carryon, plus I have the red DL carryon tag on my bag) has been with me all over the world and no I don't want to check it. I said this meets DL carryon policy. She then just looked at us as we passed by.

Yes, it does meet the DL size for carryon.

Another time, I don't recall city, they were asking for volunteers to gate check their luggage, I didn't do mine, the GA said the flight was full and they need people to check there bags. I saw this young girl, who said she needed her bag with her because she has a lot of expensive stuff, they made her check it. Anyway, I was in zone SKY, I didn't check mine. After everyone boarded the aircraft, I noticed there were a several bins empty. I felt so bad for her.

I have been asked before in the past, even though it's DL Carryon size. I explain that I have thousand's of $ of camera equipment. They then say it's OK. So far so good for me.

I wish they would enforce the carryon size rule. I see so many people with oversize bags.
When I dropped off my mom at the MCO airport last week, I had brought my Tumi with me to make sure the bag would fit in the bin, just in case they made the carry on size smaller. It still fits.

Is this something new for TSA to start deciding who gets to bring in a carry on?
PS Where is this a Federal Policy/Law? Does anyone have this in writing?

Last edited by NWA777; Jan 3, 2016 at 8:03 pm