FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced Gate Check Carry-ons?
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:12 pm
jimrpa

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
That's a little surprising. Customer service agents are trained not to mess around with federal regulations. Enforcing the carry-on size policy is a federal regulation, and CSAs who have gone to a training class would know that the carry-on size policy applies to all customers... even a celebrity DM/MM. An $11,000 fine is an $11,000 fine. I wouldn't call violating a regulation good customer service. Delta CSAs break the rules all the time to help customers, but the law should never be broken, even if it's a stupid law (like carry-on size).

The carry-on size box doesn't determine if your bag will fit; it determines whether it meets the airline's carry-on size policy, and the airline is required to make a policy and enforce it by the FAA. I could fit in an overhead bin; it doesn't mean I'm carry-on size or I should go in the bin. Having items that can fit in the bin but aren't carry-on size-compliant is unfair to other passengers with carry-on bags who have to check theirs because the bins filled up with other peoples' large bags.

All that being said, I only have someone place their bag in the size check if they ask if it's carry-on size or if it's very obviously oversized.

The TSA officer was just doing her job, and she was doing it better than the station manager apparently.
First, not a CSA, the station manager
Second, not a celebrity DMMMMM, pond scum unknown PM MM. You know, #70 on the upgrade list?

Third, not a TSA officer, the private airport employee paid to "guard" entry point to the Pre line.

I certainly would never ask DL (or anyone) to bend or violate any federal regs and I would hope they would never do so! And I certainly would never mess with a TSA officer. I don't want to be grounded and I DO understand that they're just doing their job and following established rules.