FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LCY-SNN-JFK-YVR/LAX-LHR in BA and CX J, plus Vancouver to Los Angeles by train!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:44 am
TheFlyingDoctor

Vancouver

Vancouver turned out to be exactly my kind of city – plenty of impressive buildings, but you’re never too far from green space or a waterfront of some description either. Plus it’s easy to reach even more dramatic scenery, by heading across the harbour to North Vancouver. Better still, apart from my first afternoon there were sunny skies and high temperatures.

Inevitably, then, I spent a lot of time just roaming with the camera. In the interests of space I offer just a sampler here; you can find a more convenient gallery on my blog.

False Creek

Looking south from Stanley Park

North across the harbour

Lions Gate Bridge

Canada Place

Granville Market

I also found time for a few ticketed tourist attractions. At Vancouver Aquarium I was delighted to find multiple jellyfish tanks

as well as having the chance to see the “Sea Monsters Revealed” exhibition – this uses the same “plastination” techniques as Bodyworlds, but it’s much less creepy when applied to underwater creatures than people!

Over in North Vancouver, I thoroughly explored Capilano – the river itself, the lake, and the suspension bridge park:

I opted for the ‘ultimate experience’ during my visit to Grouse Mountain to reach the highest possible point, the skyPOD viewing platform in a wind turbine. This added a cable car and chair lift to my modes of transport on this trip, so I also learnt that I’m terrified of chair lifts. Just about worth it for the view, though!

A couple of dozen photos, and a little more commentary on all of those can be found here.

Last edited by TheFlyingDoctor; Oct 20, 2019 at 10:07 am Reason: migrate off flickr