FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:06 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Are we at the point where TSA will consistently recognize NEXUS cards as valid ID when clearing security checkpoints?

The reason I ask is because REAL ID is going to cause WA state driver licenses from being accepted at some point down the road. I'd prefer to use my NEXUS card to clear security rather than going through the expense of purchasing the EDL and the annoyance of having to carry a license with RFID around with me at all times.

I would expect this to be less of an issue at SEA, but I worry that at smaller airports not near the Canadian border, this could potentially be an issue. Any recent experiences with this?
I don't consistently use my Nexus card at security anymore, but when I do, the acceptance rate when showing it at security has been way higher in the more recent past than several years ago. Even at my home airport of CVG, where you can count the number of daily flights to Canada on one hand. I think one thing that has really helped is when GE started issuing cards as well.

Security is one thing, but don't forget that airlines are another. When flying to or from Canada, airline staff may or may not accept it as valid ID at check in or boarding on flights to/from Canada. I definitely stopped using it there long ago, as the failure rate, even on AC, was quite high.