FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:13 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Many congratulations on this huge piece of work KARFA. I know from first hand experience that you didn't knock this up in 15 minutes! Thank you for putting this into place.

You asked about the T2 and T4 UK Border off Flight Connections.

T4 I don't recommend using, there is a very long passageway involved and the e-gates there are old, slow and not always switched on. I hope they are being replaced. On the other hand the connection landside between T5 and T4 is particularly ropey so it's probably the best of a bad deal.

T2, on the other hand, is better than exiting via T3, given the choice, so a great way for the HBOs to get to the Bath Road hotels. The bus takes significantly less time than T3 (9 minutes) and the UK Border is much closer to the bus location than T3. It also has 12 of the new e-gates. This then brings you to the baggage hall, landside, across the big arrivals floor to the lifts to the Tube. It probably saves 10 minutes on T3 all told for the Tube and bus connections, perhaps a bit less for HEX.
Thanks cws. It has taken a while to finally sort it out, but I am glad it is done and I can cross it off the list.

Thanks for the information on T2 and T4, I shall add that to the post.

One other question I had for which you may know the answer. Could you do this when arriving at T5B? When you ask the HAL staff person in T5B to summon the airside bus do you need to show a boarding pass or some proof of an onward connection or can you just say I need to connect to T2/3/4?